Thursday, February 9, 2012

A bit of an alarm


We had a scare yesterday. I keep the Maddy-cam up on my desktop at work. She sleeps almost all day, and wakes up around 3:15 or 3:30 and starts nosing around and staring at the front door waiting for Mike to come home. We have put up a gate, which can be seen in this photo, to keep her from jumping up on the couch, where she used to sleep. There is to be NO jumping for at least 6 weeks after her recent surgery, she can really hurt herself.

Anyway, around 4:30, I noticed that even with the blue cone on, she had managed to move the gate a little so there was a little space between it and the end of the couch. She was working furiously to get through, probably to wait by the front door for Mike but possibly to jump up on the couch. As I watched, I could tell she was going to be successful. Yikes! I called our super, who very kindly agreed to go up and put her back behind the gate. He got there just in time, and I watched him put her back behind it, but he set it up wrong, so the last couch cushion was available! He didn't have his cell phone with him, so I had to leave a message and wait for him to get back to the apartment. Mike had left work a little early, and I texted him with the situation, so he hurried to get home. Sure enough, she went straight to the couch and sat looking at it, made some false starts, sat and fidgeted, looking hard at it trying to get up the courage. Torture to watch. So relieved to see Mike get home in time and scoop her up. Sheesh. We set the gate up really carefully this morning, wedging it in place.